BwForCluster Chemistry Login
1 Set service password
Log in to JUSTUS 2 is only possible with a service password. The password of your home organization is not accepted anymore. Therefore please set a service password for JUSTUS 2 by following link "Set password" of section "JUSTUS 2" on the registration server of JUSTUS2.
2 Create TOTP keys
For better security log in to JUSTUS 2 requires two factors. In addition to your service password, a time-based one-time password (TOTP) is required as second factor.
To setup a TOTP for your account, please follow the instructions that have been send to you by email after registering for bwForCluster JUSTUS 2.
Prerequisites for login:
- You have registered your account at the registration server for JUSTUS 2
- You have set a service password for JUSTUS 2 at the registration server
- You have created a TOTP key on our authentication server and imported the key on your smartphone
Thereafter you can access the bwForCluster JUSTUS 2 for Chemistry and Quantum Sciences via ssh. Only the secure shell ssh is allowed for login.
From linux machines, you can log in using
To run graphical applications, you can use the -X flag to openssh:
ssh -X <UserID>@justus.uni-ulm.de
For better performance on slow connections you should use e.g. VNC.
The bwForCluster Chemistry in Ulm has four dedicated login nodes. The selection of the login node is done automatically. If you are logging in multiple times, different sessions might run on different login nodes.
The names of the four login nodes are justus-login01.rz.uni-ulm.de, justus-login03.rz.uni-ulm.de, justus-login02.rz.uni-ulm.de, justus-login04.rz.uni-ulm.de.
These names can be used to access a specific one of the login nodes. In general, you should use justus.uni-ulm.de to allow us to balance the load over the four login nodes.
3.1 About UserID / Username
<UserID> of the ssh command is a placeholder for your username at your home organization and a prefix denoting your organization. Prefixes and resulting user names are as follows:
3.2 Allowed activities on login nodes
The login nodes are the access point to the compute system and its $HOME directory. The login nodes are shared with all the users of the cluster. Therefore, your activities on the login nodes are limited to primarily set up your batch jobs. Your activities may also be:
- compilation of your program code and
- short pre- and postprocessing of your batch jobs.
To guarantee usability for all users of the bwForCluster you must not run your compute jobs on the login nodes. Compute jobs must be submitted as Batch Jobs. Any compute job running on the login nodes will be terminated without any notice.
4 Further reading
- Scientific software is made accessible using the Environment Modules system
- Compute jobs must be submitted as Batch Jobs
- Jobs needing disk space will need to request it in their job script. See Batch Jobs - bwForCluster Chemistry Features
- What hardware is available is described in Hardware and Architecture (bwForCluster Chemistry)