BwForCluster JUSTUS2 Login
1 Login to JUSTUS 2
1.1 Prerequisites for login
- You have registered your account at the registration server for JUSTUS 2.
- If this is still missing, then please log in to the registration server of JUSTUS2 and click on "Register" in section "JUSTUS 2".
- You have set a service password for JUSTUS 2.
- If you have not done so already, then please log in to the registration server of JUSTUS2 and select "Set Password" in section "JUSTUS 2".
- You have set up a time-based one-time password (TOTP) for the two factor authentication (2FA) log in.
- If this is still missing, then please follow the instructions for registering a new 2FA token on the following page: BwForCluster User Access/2FA Tokens.
- Your IP is within the IP range of your university. Either you are working on a computer on your campus or you are connected via a virtual private network (VPN) to your university.
- If you have an external IP (i.e. home office) and you are not connected via VPN to your university, you can not connect to JUSTUS 2. Please consult the documentation of your university how to connect to your university via VPN.
1.2 Login to JUSTUS 2
Thereafter you can access the bwForCluster JUSTUS 2 for Computational Chemistry and Quantum Sciences via ssh. Only the secure shell ssh is allowed for login.
From linux machines, you can log in using
During log in you must enter the current TOTP value (6-digit number) created with help of the TOTP app on your smartphone and your service password.
To run graphical applications, you can use the -X flag to openssh:
ssh -X <UserID>@justus2.uni-ulm.de
For better performance on slow connections you should use e.g. VNC.
The bwForCluster Chemistry in Ulm has four dedicated login nodes. The selection of the login node is done automatically. If you are logging in multiple times, different sessions might run on different login nodes.
The names of the four login nodes are justus2-login01.rz.uni-ulm.de, justus2-login02.rz.uni-ulm.de, justus2-login03.rz.uni-ulm.de, justus2-login04.rz.uni-ulm.de.
These names can be used to access a specific one of the login nodes. In general, you should use justus2.uni-ulm.de to allow us to balance the load over the four login nodes.
1.3 About UserID / Username
<UserID> of the ssh command is a placeholder for your username at your home organization and a prefix denoting your organization. Prefixes and resulting user names are as follows:
1.4 Allowed activities on login nodes
The login nodes are the access point to the compute system and its $HOME directory. The login nodes are shared with all the users of the cluster. Therefore, your activities on the login nodes are limited to primarily set up your batch jobs. Your activities may also be:
- compilation of your program code and
- short pre- and postprocessing of your batch jobs.
To guarantee usability for all users of the bwForCluster you must not run your compute jobs on the login nodes. Compute jobs must be submitted as Batch Jobs. Any compute job running on the login nodes will be terminated without any notice.
2 Further reading
- Scientific software is made accessible using the Environment Modules system
- Compute jobs must be submitted as Batch Jobs
- Jobs needing disk space will need to request it in their job script. See Batch Jobs - request local scratch
- What hardware is available is described in Hardware and Architecture (bwForCluster JUSTUS 2